Fennec for Android Pre-Alpha, Download Now!
Fennec for Android, Firefox Mobile, ‘super’ pre-alpha version is now available for download! Yes, it is still in its very early stages, but atleast it could open websites ;)
It has been a long time since Firefox has been talking about Fennec for Android and promised with an alpha release soon. They kept their promise, and the first alpha release is out for public download.
I have tried it on my Nexus One and it seriously has the best rendering of webpages among other Android browsers. Why and how? I’ll get on to this in another blog post. It has many bugs and glitches, but it performs the basic functions well, including installation and adding of Firefox Mobile addons. I even tweeted using the TwitterBar addon for Fennec here.
Download Fennec for Android
You need to have atleast a Motorola Droid or Nexus One in order to try out Fennec. Download it from the link below.
Some points to keep in mind, taken from the developer’s blog.
- We’ve only really tested this on the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One.
- It will likely not eat your phone, but bugs might cause your phone to stop responding, requiring a reboot.
- Memory usage of this build isn’t great — in many ways it’s a debug build, and we haven’t really done a lot of optimization yet.Â This could cause some problems with large pages, especially on low memory devices like the Droid.
- You’ll see the app exit and relaunch on first start, as well as on add-on installs; this is a quirk of our install process, and we’re working to get rid of it.
- You can’t open links from other apps using Fennec; we should have this for the next build.
- This build requires Android 2.0 or above, and likely an OpenGL ES 2.0 capable device.
- Edit: This build must be installed to internal memory, not to a SD card.