Firestarter: Firewall for Ubuntu
With the growing Internet threats, it is must to have a firewall for your OS to protect your system from being hacked and from spywares, viruses etc. After all, it is the main gateway to the Internet and monitors all your incoming and outgoing Internet connections being used by different applications.
Firestarter is an open source firewall for Linux with an easy-to-use graphical user interface. The software aims to combine ease of use with powerful features, therefore serving both Linux desktop users and system administrators.
It also enables Internet sharing and allows you to define both inbound and outbound access policy with the option to whitelist or blacklist traffic. You can easily watch the active internet connections including the traffic routed through the firewall.
- Open Source software, available free of charge
- Easy to use graphical interface
- Suitable for use on desktops, servers and gateways
- Enables Internet connection sharing
- Allows you to define both inbound and outbound access policy
- Option to whitelist or blacklist traffic
- Sets up DHCP for a local network
- Real time firewall events view
- View active network connections, including any traffic routed through the firewall
- Advanced Linux kernel tuning features
How To Install Firestarter?
Installing is very easy. Simply open your Terminal window, and type:
sudo apt-get install firestarter