Shutdown/Restart Computer From Quick Launch Toolbar
I’m writing this tip for people who are extremely lazy to go all the way from the Start menu to shut down or restart their computer. The following trick gets you shortcut icons to shutdown/restart your computer.
This tip will allow you to create buttons in your quick launch toolbar to quickly and easily shut down and/or restart your computer.
- Right click on your desktop, scroll to new….. shortcut
- In the location line, for shutdown type; shutdown -s -t 0 ie: shutdown(space)-s(space)-t(space)number zero
- Name the shortcut “Shut Down PC” or whatever u want
- The new shortcut is now sitting on your desktop, right click on it and go to properties, then click on “change icon”. Click OK, then pick a suitable icon, there is a red “off button” icon available, then click apply and ok.
- Now drag the icon from your desktop into the quick launch toolbar, resize the toolbar so all the buttons are visible, then delete the shortcut from your desktop.
- To create a restart button the location line should read shutdown -r -t 0 name it restart PC and give it a suitable icon for restart.
- Now you can shut down or restart your PC in in just one mouse-click, without having to go through the Start menu.
Cool, isn’t it?